:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Friday, January 16, 2009 ::

:: 2009 Resolutions: ::
Not to sound like a downer but I don't even know why I bother with these sometimes. On the off chance that I manage to keep a resolution through a year, it's not like I ever remember making the resolution in the first place. Many times it's broken within the first month.

Case in point, I was at Publix this afternoon to pick up some cleaning supplies. Nothing major, and I didn't pick up anything I didn't need (harder than it seemed since they had both Stone Crabs AND porterhouse steaks on sale for ridiculously cheap). While I was shopping someone set up a table to sell Girl Scout Cookies. Whatever. I haven't had them in literally years. Those Tagalongs are great but like I wrote in a previous post I don't have much of a sweet tooth, other than the occasional craving for Haagen-Daaz, specifically Dulce de Leche.

Well, guess what their brand new flavor is.

If I didn't know better, I'd think someone was trying to kill me with food. Of course I had to try one. I went ahead and bought a box of the Dulce de Leche and a box of Tagalongs. I know. Give me a little credit: I only got one of each.

That (finally) brings me to my point: Being as it one of my resolutions was "Lay off the junk food," why do I even try? I went through a period of a few years where I didn't make resolutions and my life was unaffected. There's always some stupid excuse, too. In this case my thinking was along the lines of "no more Fatty Melts, fried fish, and maybe cut back on the steaks." I didn't think I'd get tempted by a thirteen-year-old girl peddling her sweets. (Wait, that sounded bad.) Seriously, I hadn't eaten that crap for years! But there it is. Then again, being as it they're my resolutions and it's still only the first month, I'm allowed to give myself a mulligan. I just need to find some Girl Scout repellant.

Just a few of my other resolutions:
  • Stop smoking. Oh wait, I don't smoke. Cool, that was easy.
  • Lay off the junk food. I've eaten my last Fatty Melt for a while, I've gotten over my fish taco nostalgia, and I'm certain that box of cookies should placate my Dulce de Leche cravings. At least for a week or so. I still have to have my steaks however, but I'm gonna try leaner cuts like sirloin filets. Instead of potatoes, maybe try a salad or two. (Technically, tomato and mozzarella with olive oil, roasted red peppers, and diced pancetta constitutes a salad. At least where I work.)
  • Don't get fired. Seriously, that sucked. It's not like I even liked that job but being singled out like that even though others were complicit, seriously, that just sucked.
  • Run more. Or more accurately, start running again. I remember how good I used to feel last year when I was running regularly. My clothes fit better, I had more energy, and every now and then there would a cute chick in running shorts. Speaking of which:
  • Stop being so Goddamn shy. I'm not (too) socially awkward or anything but given that it's my job to be talkative and social and meet new people every night, I'm still an introvert. I'm not the kind of guy that can start up a conversation with a stranger standing in line. Every time I go to The Abby, I spend most of the time either watching sports or talking to my buddy who works there. If I ever get in a conversation with someone else at the bar, it's because they initiated it. Odd because when I'm "forced" to meet people - new co-workers, customers, friends of friends - I'm easy to get along with, can hold up my end of the conversation, and be fun to hang with. Why am I so shy? I should be able to meet new people outside of those constraints. Of course, I have no idea how to go about doing this but bear with me.
  • Get my "Real Job." It's been over three years since I graduated from Art School. I'm saving up my money and once this year's season is over, I'm going all in on finding that "Real Job." Of course, I said the same thing last year but stuff happened and my plan went slightly awry.
There are a few other resolutions that are a bit more personal, which I'm not going to share obviously. Wish me luck.

Labels: , , , , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 11:42 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?