:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Thursday, December 04, 2008 ::

:: Will Power ::
...I have none. 

Or so it seems at times. If I'm properly motivated, I can be quite disciplined in many ways but there are times where I feel I'm about as restrained as a drunken frat boy in a strip club. Especially when it comes to food.

Ever since I wrote this post I've been trying to, if not lose, then at least temper the weight gain. It's been only moderately successful. Two reasons, I love to cook. More than that, I love to eat.

I've been laying off the garlic bread at work but I've been experimenting with braising (everything from leg of lamb, beef shanks, to veal) lately and I work with a head chef who's unusually willing to share recipes. Anything braised calls for some type of starch to truly appreciate it and I've been preparing various types of mashed potatoes to accompany my dishes.

It doesn't sound too bad except when I cook my primary goal is flavor. That means I use a lot of butter, salt, spices, and cream. (Liquor-based sauces are great too.) In other words, it's almost as if I eat like I want to have a heart attack.

Since turkey season is over, I told myself (with a straight face even) that I'd stop with the rich stuff and try to lose that weight. Then I went grocery shopping this afternoon.

I passed by the meat section to look for some lean sirloin steaks and fish but as I passed by the butcher's case, something catches my eye: "Dry aged Prime Ribeye Steaks." You fuckers. This is something they rarely carry and now they display it? Great timing guys, thanks.

Usually, the only time I buy steaks is if they have ribeyes or porterhouses for sale. But, good God it's Dry Aged! I picked out a nice 27oz. bone-in cut.

It didn't end there. I have a weakness for ice cream. Specifically, Haagen-Dazs' Dulce de Leche. I actually don't have much of a sweet tooth but I do treat myself to a pint of ice cream once in a while. I can easily walk down the cookie or cake aisle and leave empty handed and I haven't bought candy in literally over a decade. But the freezer case sometimes calls to me like a sweet oasis in my savory dessert...er... desert so I try my best to avoid
 it.

But that same day, I was looking for, um, something and passed by the Haagen-Dazs section and I couldn't help but notice a new flavor. I lean in to take a look and see something called "Fleur de Sel Caramel." They're trying to kill me.

I haven't cooked the steak yet but the ice cream? It was awesome.

Labels: , , , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 12:56 AM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?