:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Saturday, November 24, 2007 ::

:: Hitman ::
I've been on an independent and foreign movie kick lately. I've been getting a lot of that from Netflix and I've enjoyed most of them. I enjoy well crafted dramas (Il Postino, Field of Dreams) and thought provoking films (Syriana, City of God) as much as anyone. But if there's one thing for that's a guilty pleasure, it's a big, loud, dumb, action movie.

I had the day off so I went to see a movie. It was either "No Country for Old Men" or "Hitman." I had a long week so I decided on "Hitman." Remember how base and brainless, yet visceral and visually spectacular "300" was? This was pretty much on the same level, except dumbed down even more. I didn't know it was based on a video until I saw it in the opening credits but it makes perfect sense afterwards, with the plot (or lack thereof) and character development (ditto) being what it was. One of the redeeming values of "XXX" was the it didn't take itself seriously at all, but "Hitman" tries to take itself somewhat seriously, which for me, made it even more entertaining, in that it was ripe for unintentional comedy. (Then again, I'm easily amused.)

The plot is decent enough, Timothy Olyphant (his parents must have been Hobbits or something) is just icy enough as the hitman and Dougray Scott is solid as the cop tracking him down. But I have to admit, I enjoyed watching the lovely smokin' hot Olga Kurylenko, who seems to have trouble keeping her clothes on. And when clothed, can't seem to find anything that isn't transparent. The action scenes are all nicely choreographed, and there's a couple of parts where I laughed even though that's probably not what the filmmakers intended.

We're not talking "Citizen Cane" here. But if you had a long week and want to fantasize about being putting a hit out some bad people, you could do a lot worse than "Hitman."

Labels: , , , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 10:45 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?