:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Saturday, January 31, 2009 ::

:: Super Bowl XLIII Pick ::
It's time. Tomorrow will be the game we've all been waiting for. It's going to be a hell of a match and we might see history right before our eyes. Yes folks, the matchup featuring Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will promise an epic Australian Open Finals.

What did you think I was talking about?

Okay, okay, it's all about football. Sure I love tennis, but I really love football. There are a lot of compelling stories behind this year's Super Bowl that I could get into (and will in a moment) but that would obscure the fact that this game has all the potential to be a classic. Sure, it could also be a major blowout but whatever.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about stories that news channels will try to milk the way Letterman milks a joke and I was dead on about a few of them. However, there are a few I things I missed that’s worth considering. Such as:
  • The Kurt Warner Story: everyone knows the story of his ascent to the NFL elite and his relationship with his wife Brenda, as well his life of great Faith. There's been that and more, specifically how he was all but left for dead after St. Louis released him but found new life in Arizona. But the big story I didn't expect was Brenda's reemergence into the spotlight. All she did was ditch her old military cut and grew out her hair and dyed it blonde. The result is kind of well, attractive. Almost hot, even. Hey, if God gave me a wife that looked that good at that age, I'd worship Him, too. What? I just report this crap.
  • Arizona Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt facing his former team in the Super Bowl. It's been mentioned a few times but Whiz, to his credit never played the revenge angle so this story never got going. The story that did develop is that with all his years in Pittsburgh is that he knows how the Steelers game plan. Conversely, they know his coaching style.Yet he knows that they know, and they know that he knows that they know, so they know that he knows and he knows that they know, so everyone knows that they know each other, and... You know what? Never mind.
  • Larry Fitzgerald might be the best wide receiver in the game right now. However, due to the ridiculous numbers and his spectacular catches, that angle might be a little overhyped. Yeah he's great but it's still a little early for the Jerry Rice comparisons okay? And I'm not just saying this because I'm a frustrated SanFran 49ers fan. Actually, that's pretty much, why I'm saying it.
  • Ken Whisenhunt turning the Cardinals into a respectable franchise just might be the greatest trick play of all time. I wrote this mostly as a small joke, but the truth is he's made some shrewd decisions that led to this point. Unlike his mentor Bill Cowher, he did all this while keeping the spittle to a minimum.
As for my pick, I honestly don't know. Pittsburgh could win because they have the best defense in the NFL this season, feature a balanced offense, QB Ben Roethlisberger is a master of improvisation, and they still have a good number of players left over from their Super Bowl winning team. But Ben is hurt, hardnosed wide receiver Hines Ward is playing with a bad knee, RB Willie Parker and the offensive line is still inconsistent.

Arizona could win because they have a potent offense that torched Philly two weeks ago; two wideouts that could make big plays if Fitzgerald is covered, an underrated secondary, and the whole "no one believes in us" spin. But more often than not, defense wins championships, Anquan Boldin's hamstring is still a question mark, they might not be able to establish a running game, and let's face it; they're the Arizona Cardinals.

As much as I love Kurt Warner('s wife), rooting for the underdogs, and watching history happen, I can see Pittsburgh pulling it off. However, Arizona is playing with an edge, and I think they're just a bit healthier. Since I'm not putting any money on the game, I'm going with Arizona: 23-20. MVP: Edgerrin James.

(Oh yeah; I think - I hope - Federer wins the Australian Open.)

Labels: , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 11:53 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?