:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 ::

:: Server Stories: I'm not Nostradamus (I'm not very nice either) ::
I get a call during a lunch shift a few weeks ago from a customer wanting to make a reservation for February 17th. "How many in your party?"I ask.

"Party of two." "Sir, we only take reservations for parties of six or more."

"Well, can you tell me, by your best guestimation (he used exactly that word), on how busy it might be around 8:00 that night?"

I blink a couple of times before I reply "one moment sir."

I put him on hold and walk over to one of my tables to take their order. I don't have time for this shit. I couldn't tell you how busy it'll be that night (or even what that day's date is at the time) much less what it's going to be a few days from now.

After entering their orders, I go back to the phone. "Sir, we're completely booked for that evening and there will probably be a two hour wait. You'll just have to come in." (At this point, I still have no idea what day February 17th falls on.)

"Well, we still need a reservation for two" ("We?") "No." "Well what if I made a table for six?"

This guy won't quit. I sigh rather loudly, enough that there's no doubt he heard it. "Again sir, we're completely booked."

Click.

Whatever. I check my tables, then go to the reservation book to see if we are in fact, booked. As it turns out, the 17th was a Saturday during the Miami Boat Show, which is typically our busiest weekend. Naturally, we were completely booked. And if the number of reservations on that page weren't enough, one of the managers wrote in large red letters, "DO NOT TAKE ANY MORE RESERVATIONS" at the bottom of the page. I even told the general manager about the call and he got a good laugh out of it.

I have no idea if the caller tried to come in that night, but we didn't miss his business, since it was very lucrative for everyone who worked (I made my rent and then some in three nights). For once, kharma let me off easy.

Labels: , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 6:20 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?