:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Monday, July 18, 2005 ::

:: What's wrong with me? ::
Ok. Anyone who knows my taste in music knows that I'm a huge classic rock fan. To a lesser degree, I also listen to modern rock. I also love the blues. Almost anything involving a guitar. I listen to a lot of singer/songwriters and bands that write their own stuff. They also know of my distaste of boy bands, overpampered divas, rappers, and hip hop.

So it's with some consternation that I found myself bobbing my head along to that one song "Don't Funk with my Heart" by the Black Eyed Peas. It gets regular play over at Taste Bakery, where it seems their radio's dial is permanently stuck on "Top 40 music to make Dan-E feel out of touch." This has been going on for the last couple of weeks.

Nice thing about Mac laptops with wireless cards is that other people that own Mac laptops with wireless cards can listen to the tracks on each other's iTunes. So I found myself during a lull last week trying to find other Black Eyed Peas (referred to BEP from this point on) songs and much to my chagrin, I caught myself thinking "this stuff isn't too bad."

And no wonder. Listen to their songs long enough and you realize that it's hip hop for people who don't like hip hop. I'm no expert but most rap and hip hop songs are constructed from rhythmic beats (that standard 4/4 cadence that a tone-deaf white guy with the world's largest overbite could dance to) whereas BEP's songs are created by hooks and melodies. It's the kind of hip hop that some twenty year old's parents might listen to. (I feel really old now.) Which is fine and all until you walk in on your parents making out on the living room couch to "Let's Get it Started."

:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 11:26 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?