:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Monday, February 14, 2005 ::

:: I'm like, SO funny. Whatever. ::
Despite my mild griping in my last post, I have to admit, I'm enjoying most of my classes. I'm learning a lot and I'm enjoying the challenges presented by some of the assignments. Especially anything involving alcohol where we're required to do product "research."Our group had fun with vodka, let me tell you. Granted, the sleepless nights and the resultant fatigue and occasional illness aren't great but overall, it's been a pretty good quarter. Having said that, the only class giving me heart palpatations is Stand Up Comedy.

This class is normally given only to writers but somebody somehow got the idea that I can write so I got stuck with this class. Now, trying to write jokes is actually kinda fun, especially since I'm easily amused. Performing them in front of class is a little nerve-wracking, but so far, we're only doing it in our little class of eight so it hasn't been too bad. My big trepidation is the thought of having to make a 120 people laugh at the end of the quarter is, and since public speaking is one of my greatest fears, it is, to say the least, daunting.

It's not that I don't think I can be funny. I obviously can, though that in itself can be challenge - I'll expand on that later - I'm more concerned about my delivery, since my voice can sometimes lack presence and I have this slight stuttering thing that could be distracting.

As for my material, well, I'm quite aware that my jokes can be arcane and if anything it's a point of pride for me. Even my friend Carolina said to me "you're really funny but nobody knows it." Normally, that's a great compliment but for this class, I have to broaden my material somewhat or I might was well go up on stage and start digging myself a grave.

My humor is like my personality, really, me in general; it's not for everyone you won't always get it but if/when you do, you're hooked. People have suggested numerous times that I take myself more mainstream, whether it's telling more obvious jokes or cutting my goatee and I've sometimes bristled at the suggestion. But since my attempt at incorporating the concept of "ignominy" into my monologue died a painful death, I'm thinking for once, that it might not be such bad advice.

:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 11:56 PM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?