:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Monday, August 18, 2008 ::

:: Nothing to Worry About ::
I've lived through some disasters and have been lucky enough to live through all of them. I grew up Southern California, which is earthquake country. Luckily, my city was out of any major quake areas so even the big ones that caused major damage in other cities spared my family and me from any harm.

Naturally, I move from earthquake country to hurricane country since life without the possibility of a natural disaster would just be too boring. I lived through Charley and Francis. Wilma went over fairly close to South Beach but I lived to write about it. I survived a few earthquakes, a few hurricanes, and this so the prospect of Fay was of little concern to me.

When I saw it bearing down on last week and saw it was still a tropical storm, it didn't seem like a big deal. The GM told us Saturday during pre-shift about possible precautions the company would take if Fay were to become a real threat. But he's a native, 3rd generation, Cuban Miamian and he's lived through worse. As he said this I sensed very little consternation in his voice, as if he could tell that it wouldn't be a big deal. Just to be sure I kept an eye on the news. Sure enough, the next night at work, the GM says to us that as of 4:30 Saturday, Miami was out of the "Cone of Error." This must have been common knowledge as we served over 200 people that night.

Work tonight was slow. It was mostly tourists who were determined not to let a non-hurricane deter them from enjoying their vacation. The Steakhouse has large windows on one side so we're able to see the rain falling and the wind whipping. But honestly, it didn't look any different from any other major rainstorm I've seen in my almost five years here.

One bad thing about working: I was invited to a Hurricane Party but declined since I had to work. No big deal. I'm sure another will be along soon.

Image courtesy of weatherunderground.com

Labels: , ,


:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 11:24 AM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?