:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 ::

:: And this Week's Secret Iron Chef Ingredient is... ::
CHEESE! (Cue overly dramatic, blatant Wagner rip-off music.) Our 8th quarter class has a nice little potluck get-together a week ago and yes, the there actually was an Iron chef theme. Everyone who attended was required to bring something containing cheese. There was the usualy cheese dish (brie, cheddar, mozarrella), nacho cheese dip, grilled cheese sandwiches, and a baked ziti dish.

I made my tomato, basil, and mozzarella bruschetta and it went over quite well. I made quite a bit (the recipe called for 16 servings and there's only eight of us) and I just finished the rest off for dinner tonight and for some reason, I started to think about the stuff I make for potlucks. There's clearly a pattern, it's either Mexican (I make awesome salsa, killer ceviche, great fish tacos, and no one on east of the Mississippi makes better guacamole) or Italian (sausages and peppers, my own marinara sauce, and the aforementioned bruschetta, etc.).

And THAT reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends back in L.A. We were discussing food and the topic turned to the favorite dish our mom makes for us. Everyone has at least one. There was a pretty good assortment of dishes. It finally got to me and knowing my background, I think there was a certain expectation of what my answer might be.

So when I said that the favorite dish my mom makes is her homemade spaghetti sauce, everyone looked at me like I was an alien (I've become used to it). I'm being totally serious. I don't know where she got the recipe but she makes this sauce completely from scratch and it's excellent: rich, garlicky, and flavorful.

Apparently it's just me since everyone else in my family prefers her more traditional dishes so I wish I could say that where I got my cooking tastes. It's merely a product of growing up in an ethincally diverse city and having a lot of Mexican friends is gonna leave an impression. And apparently, my ceviche is good enough that I was deemed an honorary Mexican, something I'm quite proud of. I can't explain the Italian thing as easily other than I went through an Italian phase and I discovered I was quite good at it. Then again Italian cooking isn't exactly the hardest thing out there.

:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 12:46 AM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?