:: Life on Planet Dan-E ::

Thoughts, observations, and introspections from an art student waiter/bartender in South Beach. Arcane humor ensues.
:: home | e-mail me | blogroll me :: Alcohol doesn’t solve any problems, but if then again, neither does soda. ::
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
[::..blogger stuff..::]
:: profile ::
:: twitter ::
[::..pictures..::]
:: my photos ::
:: my turtle ::
:: hurricane pics ::
[::..help..::]
:: the red cross ::
:: one ::
[::..real world..::]
:: wumanjoo ::
:: lindsay ::
:: it's all good ::
[::..blog world..::]
:: grateful dating ::
:: restaurant refugee ::
:: restaurant gal ::
:: citizenofthemonth ::
:: culinary couture ::
:: heartbreaker ::
[::..music..::]
:: u2 ::
:: larrivee ::
:: fender ::
[::..sports..::]
:: the nfl ::
:: the mlb ::
:: the niners ::
:: l.a. dodgers ::
:: dodger blues ::
::touch' em all::
[::..distractions..::]
:: fark ::
:: chrudat ::
:: the onion ::
::interesting thoughts::
[::.must reads..::]
:: 100 facts about me ::
:: my passion ::
:: my humor p.i ::
:: my humor p.ii ::
:: baseball ::
:: creative burnout ::
:: wingman rules 1-4 ::
:: wingman rules 5-6 ::
:: my ambitions ::
:: my inspiration ::
:: tribute to heros ::
:: a god among men ::
:: musical tastes ::
:: politics p.i ::
:: politics p.ii ::
[::..old stuff..::]
dating
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blog Directory & Search engine
Personal Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed on BlogShares
Creme de la Creme
Join List < > ?
Powered by RingSurf
Review My Site
Who links to me?
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.

:: Monday, May 09, 2005 ::

:: Classical Concerto ::
Sunday night was the first time in a very long time that I went to a classical music concert. I can't pinpoint the last time but I'm guessing it was when my age only needed one digit and it wasn't a voluntary trip on my part.

I've wrote before about how I've become a classical music fan in the last few years and one of the things I looked forward to when coming to Prague was the chance to attend a few concerts. Since so many great composers came from Europe, what better place, right?

This was at one of the opera houses I photographed a while back, specifically,
The Municipal House. The concert was in one of the smaller roooms and the capacity was only a few hundred so it was a nice, intimate setting. It was performed by a string orchestra (no percussion, brass, etc.) and while it was only about 70 minutes long, it was a wonderful 70 minutes.

They performed selections from Dvorak, Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Handel. I was familiar with Mozart and Bach's pieces (I'd write the names of the compositions but I don't have the program with me), the Tchaikovksy piece was vaugely familiar and the rest I never heard but like all forms of music, it's one thing to hear it through your headphones but to listen to it live is almost like listening for the first time.

It's amazing the degree of how the layers of sound and the emotions of the melody can permeat your senses. In the Mozart piece, I discovered depths of the composition that I would have never picked up through a pair of headphones. It gave me goosebumps a couple of times through that 20 minute set. Same thing with Bach.

If there's ever an Orchestra that'll be performing the works of Wagner, I'm so there. But even if there isn't, I'm making it a point to make sure that I attend at least one more concert before I leave.

:: Miscellaneous Ramblings by Dan-E at 4:59 AM [+] :: | 0 comments
.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?